Saturday, March 9, 2013

Luck of the Draw


Luck of the Draw

I, no matter how hard I try, never win anything! 

I take that back I did win something once. Every year my elementary school had a Halloween Carnival, one of the attractions was a bingo game in the cafeteria.  In 4th grade I decided to play a game.  I won one of the matches.  My prize was a case of motor oil.  The kind of prize that every 10 year old girls longs to have!  No other contest that I have entered has been a winner.  My mother on the other hand won just about every contest she ever entered.

Some of her memorable winnings have been, in no particular order:

In 2000 she won tickets to the Daytona 500.  That was a super fun trip with her.  It was the first and last time that she had ever watched a NASCAR race. But, I had fun on the trip.

Several years later she won $500 gift card to the local grocery store.

The most memorable thing that she won will be etched into my memory forever.  I had just returned to work from maternity leave from child #2.  She called me to tell me about her recent winning. Here is a snippet of the phone conversation.

Mom: I have great news for you.
Me: Really what?!?!
Mom:  I won an all inclusive trip for 2 to Hawaii including tickets to the Pro Bowl
Me:  Wow!! That is awesome!
Mom: Yeah! I'm taking your sister.
Me:  I thought you said it was good news for me.
Mom:  It is good news for you, 'cause now you know that your mother is going to be going on a wonderful trip and that I'm going with your sister.
Me:  Silence
Mom:  Aren't you happy!
Me:  Yes mother I'm happy that you won a trip to Hawaii. 

Yeah, that is how my mother rolled.  My sister always deserved more than me.  But, I won't get into that now.  That's another blog for another day.

One day I would love to win something good.  I already have won the kid lottery. I have 4 healthy wonderful children.  A mother couldn't ask for more than that.  Well she can, but why fuck with Karma!

Have you ever won anything good in a contest or promotion?

No comments:

Post a Comment